Here are some helpful tips that helped me excel while I was getting my Master in Public Health. Comment below some tips to help other grad students out.
10 Helpful Tips for 1st year grad students
- Same as you would do in undergrad, write all assignments from your syllabus in your planner to stay on top of assignments and project due dates. In grad school you have a lot of time out of class so please use it wisely.
Don’t be so hard on yourself.
- I wanted to accomplish getting a 4.0 GPA in grad school but that didn’t happen. In the end, I walked across the stage with a 3.85. when I found out it wouldn’t be a 4.0 was so mad at myself. I had to take a step back and evaluate what I was doing to myself. I did, and I’m cool with not getting a 4.0 since I can’t do anything about it.
Create a support system.
- Create a group of people around you that will motivate you and push you to keep striving for greatness. People in your support system could be your mom, friends, family, and so many others.
Find an awesome advisor.
- Get an advisor that’s similar to where you see yourself in the future. Get an advisor that will be on top of what he/she needs from you. Having a bad advisor is like being stuck in a dead end job… you’re not going anywhere.
Don’t tolerate BS.
- There will be people that will try to take advantage of you. Don’t let them! Stand your ground!
Get your finances in order.
- Make sure you’re not stressed about paying your monthly bills. While at UM they did not have housing for grad students and you can only make so much money doing a work study job. Balance your accounts to make sure you’re not stressed while trying to get your masters.
Declutter your home.
- Organize your home so you can focus on your course work. Majority of the time you’ll be studying at home so make it comfortable and neat. Unless you thrive is messy situations.
Separate school life/personal life
- Having a separate school and work life will help lead a stress free life while in grad school. There will be times when they merge but don’t make it happen too often. Keep them separate.
- You can try as hard as you might but staying on a tight schedule will not work. Keep your schedule flexible. From spontaneous group meetings to speaking with professors to everything else that life throws at you. The most stress free thing to do is BE FLEXIBLE!!
Find you favorite coffee mug.
- Find your favorite coffee mug for coffee, you will use it a lot. From all-nighters, studying for exams writing tons of papers to studying for test. Your coffee mug will be your BFF.
It truly is an experience to attend college. The experience is unmatched. From learning new things, learning about yourself, networking, and making lifelong friendships. College is an accomplishment. Have FUN! And Be Safe.
I hope I got you excited to start school, to stay up to date with me by subscribing to my newsletter and also following me on “all social media networks” (@KompletelyKai) and let’s chat. Until next time, BE BLESSED, BE BEAUTIFUL, ABOVE ALL THINGS BE YOU!!!!